Some less known facts about Republic Day and Indian Constitution
We are living in this country with our free will and with full freedom, If we go through the history of formation of Indian constitution and struggle for it then we will definitely be amazed with the interesting facts of the constitution and republic day here are following less known facts.
- 26 January 1930 was earlier celebrated as India’s Independence Day aka Purna Swaraj Day because it was decided to take independence from British government on this day.
- For the first time, the idea of a Constituent Assembly was put forward by M.N. Roy in 1934. It was accepted by the British in the ‘August Offer of 1940
- After we achieved Independence on 15 August in 1947, our leaders wanted 26 January to be celebrated and remembered as well in the history. So, the day was made to coincide with the day of Swaraj.
- The first Republic Day of the free India was celebrated on 26 January, 1950, three years after we got independence due to formation of the constitution since 1947.
- Republic Day is no single day celebration it is extended to three day long affair.The celebrations end on 29 January with the Beating Retreat ceremony at Rastrapati Bhavan.
- The first Republic day parade at Rajpath (Kingsway at that time) was held in 1955 before it he parade used to be organized at Irwin Stadium President Sukarno of Indonesia was first chief guest.
- Abide with Me, A Christian song was played at the first Republic Day Parade. It is believed to be one of Mahatma Gandhi’s favorite songs.
- India’s Constitution is the longest written constitution in the world. It had a total of 385 articles originally but after 100 amendments this has now 448 articles.
- It is written in English and Hindi with calligraphy of Ramayana’s Sri Ram And other characters on each page and it was hand written by Prem Bihari Narain Raizada.
- Drafting the Constitution was a strenuous task. Dr Ambedkar and constitutional assembly took 2 years and 11 months to draft the Indian Constitution with the help of drafting committee.
- Our constitution makers took the best aspects from other countries’ constitutions. The concept of liberty, equality and fraternity came from the French constitution while the Five-Year Plans came from the Soviet Union constitution herculean along with other countries constitutions such as US, Canada, Britain, Japan, Ireland and Australia.
- Before the Constitution came into intact and force, India for governing country followed British Government’s Government of India Act of 1935.
- A total of 283 members of the constituent meeting had signed the original Constitution of India
- The English model of the Original Indian Constitution has 1,17,369 words
- The National Emblem of India, the Lion Capital of Ashoka at Sarnath, was adopted on the same day the Constitution of India came into effect, i.e., 26 January, 1950.
Republic Day is a day of the cumulative effort of the true patriots of the nation to bring back the whole nation together under the banner of the tricolor and an effort and first step toward making India great again like it was thousand years ago . Torch bearer of knowledge, wealth , prosperity and spiritual might for the world again